Passivhaus, or Passive House, is a building standard that refers primarily to energy efficiency and eco-friendliness, but what does it actually mean in terms of insulation standards?
What is Passivhaus?
Passivhaus is originally a German standard for construction that has recently become popular across the UK. It essentially ensures the highest standards of performance in regards to energy efficiency, comfort, affordability, and economical friendliness. Buildings built to this standard allow for heating and cooling related energy savings of up to 90% when compared to typical buildings within the UK and up to 75% savings against average new builds.
How to achieve Passivhaus with Insulation
Insulation is an important factor in achieving the low-energy demands of Passivhaus standard. This insulation can include all types within the house such as windows and exterior walls.
There are some key components to insulating a house to these stringent practices:
- Space heating demand should not exceed 15kWh annually or 10w per square metre of usable living space
- Space cooling demand should nearly match the heat demand with additional climate-dependant allowance for dehumidification
- Primary energy demand must not exceed 120kWh annually for all domestic applications per square metre of usable living space
- Airtightness should meet a maximum of 0.6 air changes per hour at 50 Pascal’s pressure
- Thermal comfort must be met for all living spaces throughout the year
- No more than 1-% of hours in any given year should be over 25˚C
- Floors, walls, and ceiling must have a thermal performance U Value of a minimum of 0.15
- All opaque building components of the exterior must be well insulated to ensure an efficient heat transfer per degree of temperature difference
Devana have lots of experience achieving Passivhaus standards with our insulation installation. We have worked with a number of architects, self-builds, and big projects in order to achieve this, including insulating the UK’s biggest Passivhaus social scheme. Our experience and expertise within the insulation industry enables us to achieve the standards you want.